Monday, January 10, 2011

Homemade


I know everyone says this, but I don't really 'do' New Year's Resolutions. However, this year, we have decided to try and reduce our reliance on supermarket shopping. It's for a lot of reasons, including environmental and political ones, which I may or may not expand on at another time.
There'll be more on how we're trying to do this later in the week, but basically it's a quiet revolution because most of the measures are things we've done before over the last few years, on and off. So it's a question of trying to do them all at the same time.
Home-baking is obviously already a regular fixture in our house, but nonetheless we'd slipped into buying quite a lot of ready-made stuff recently, including bread, breadsticks (P's snack of choice) and M's weaning baby-mush (known as 'goo' in our house).
This week is the 'start as we mean to go on' week, so therefore I duly made bread and used some leftover pizza dough and a little pesto (not homemade, I admit!) to make some breadsticks. I then cooked up two carrots, an apple and four tinned prunes to make some goo. Carrots take forever to cook, so I went off and built Duplo houses with P....and burned the goo. Believe me, burned carrot, apple and prune does not smell nice. Nor is it easy to remove from pans.
However, if I gave up that easily I might as well just go to Tesco right now, so I had another attempt and made sure I stayed by the stove this time. An initial whizz with the handheld mixer followed by blending in the liquidiser and we finally had a good approximation of one of M's favourite bought 'goo in a pouch' numbers. What's more she ate it. So far so goo(d).

No comments:

Post a Comment