Monday, October 19, 2009

Handmade Home



As you can see, I'm keeping up my 'one felt cube per day' target. Meanwhile, I've realised that to hit the next birthday deadline, I'm going to have to put tea-cosies on hold for a bit. Also, as the recipient of said birthday knitting reads this blog I'm not going to be able post work in progress pictures!
Instead, here are some bits and pieces from a few months ago. They are both based on projects in Amanda Blake Soule's Handmade Home. I'm not going to wax lyrical here about this book, but suffice to say that I love her first book, The Creative Family, and her blog. I was really excited about Handmade Home coming out and I haven't been disappointed. It's her fault I've got a whole heap of charity shop and worn out clothing fabrics ready for future projects. The mouse-mat pictured was made from a hand-embroidered linen cloth (maybe an antimacassar) found in a charity shop, along with some fabric left over from a dress I made earlier this year. The curtain (much needed as our bathroom doesn't have frosted glass!) is two unused muslin burp cloths with crochet doilies, again from a charity shop, tacked on. In the book, Amanda used a similar idea to show off vintage handkerchiefs. As she suggests, I've been looking around for what we really need in our house so I can decide on future makes. So far... a back door mat (I want to do the braided rag rug), a TV remote control tidy and some nicer bathroom mats. Add them to the to-do list!

1 comment:

  1. LOVE the bathroom curtain and mouse pad. That sure beats the ugly mouse pad I am looking at. I actually followed you over here from your comment on Amanda's blog.

    Happy creating! :)

    ReplyDelete